Tuesday, March 24, 2015

My Personal Essay


“What am I, the Intern?”
Due to my grandfather I have an obsession with politics and the news.
I read the news any chance I get. When I came back from Canada over New Years, the first thing I did when I had phone service was read the news. I have about five different news apps on my phone.
Like I said, obsessed.
Because of this, I was able to find an internship, making cold calls, calling supporters, and going to events, my first semester of college working for a campaign for governor for the New Hampshire gubernatorial race. Walt Havenstein was my savior.
I spent every free moment working. After class everyday I went to the headquarters and worked until 9 pm. One of my friends told me he never met someone who used work as an excuse to not do homework. I knew I couldn't take one day off, because I never knew if I would get an opportunity like this again and I was worried I would waste it. Plus I knew it would be over before I blinked.
It was exhausting but exhilarating.
I met so many incredible people who I still keep in touch with. I know for some of the campaign workers it was just a job, but for most it was a foot in the door for politics. It was a wonderland for me. It was a place for me to talk about the news, I was asked daily about the news that occurred while I was in class. I learned so many new things about politics. I was able to flourish in this environment.
I met John McCain briefly, Scott Brown, and Marilinda Garcia. I got a picture with Kelly Ayotte, and I got a selfie with Chris Christie, my favorite politician ever. It was better than Christmas for me and I don’t care how big my grin was, it was incredible. I got to work in the war room on election day, where I got to sit and help tally the results of each town as they came in. I even got a badge with my name on it. The head of the campaign told me I got to sit in compared to someone else, because I am “diligent, quiet, and won’t talk to anyone on the outside.” This was big news, because the guy who told me this, had a tendency to yell at my boss and his coworkers a lot. So the war room was big news and a big deal for an intern like me to work in.
One of my friends on the campaign joked and said I was now higher up than he was, since he was only allowed to guard the door to make sure no one got in and saw the results, while I was actually in there. He told me I was the luckiest intern ever for being given so much power and inside knowledge. He even tried to get me to tell him the results before they even came in.
I could barely hide the grin I had for the election party, even though Walt didn’t win. He may have lost the election, but I gained so many friends, knowledge, a bigger passion for politics, and the confirmation that this is what I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing.
The night before election day, November 4th, I stayed up until 3:00 am and put up Walt Havenstein signs with my boss around different polling areas. I asked to help and the guys were surprised I was willing to help that late. They didn’t think I would want to, but they gladly let me tag along.
I also went to sign waving rallies for the two big debate nights and stood in the rain and snow while talking to volunteers about school and politics. I was even interviewed for a Marilinda Garcia debate when I was at a sign wave.
I had so much fun, meeting new people and having a new experience and being able to put on my resume I had an internship under my belt as a first semester freshman.
The last time I spent in the office, I remember a few of the guys had found out I was only eighteen at the time. They told me they thought I was a junior in college or in graduate school.
I think I can shelve my internship as one of the best times of my life, especially because it was my first real experience in politics and because as an intern I wasn't really an intern. I never did grunt work. I did everything I wanted to do and more.
To sum up my time working on the campaign, I remember walking out of the office for the last time, and being asked to help carry some last things out by my friend. I remember responding sarcastically, “What am I, the intern or something?”  

2 comments:

  1. A selfie with Chris Christie! That is amazing.

    I have a friend who has a huge crush on Obama! When Joe went to SNHU to speak about the campaign, I took it upon myself to take action. While he was walking around shaking hands with all the students, I climbed on a chair and slipped him a note.

    Joe,

    Please forward to Obama.
    Mr. President, my friend has a huge crush on you.
    Call Tiffany for a swing'in affair.

    - xoxo


    I threw her phone number on the random paper I had found. She wanted to kill me, but it was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. You must be super excited for 2016! Volunteering (or interning) for campaigns are really interesting experiences and you definitely meet a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete